Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Angle Conversions

Angle Conversions
by Sam on 03/10/02 at 09:08:49

In your list of angles in the conversion chart, I saw one called a gradient... isn't it called a gradian? Maybe it is referred to both ways. I wasn't sure so I thought I should ask.

BTW, I think your site is great! :)

Re: Angle Conversions
by The Wizard on 03/18/02 at 06:45:05

gradient is the correct term.  There is no such word as gradian.

Re: Angle Conversions
by Robert Fogt on 03/19/02 at 06:17:36

I think gradian might be french for gradient. But it is correct that in the English language there is no such word as gradian.

Re: Angle Conversions
by David Short on 04/27/03 at 20:17:34

Gradian isn't in my dictionary either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  It's a rare, specialist term, referring to a measurement of an angle. It is equal to 1% of a right angle.  A gradient is something else: the slope of a line.

You seem over-willing to see any word you don't know as being necessarily French.  
(Cf. the word metre (English, not French) vs mètre (French). A meter is a gauge.)



-David, an English teacher in France.

P.S. Useful site.

Go Back | Archive Index


Did you find us useful?

Please consider supporting the site with a small donation.

click here for more information


BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Check out our Conversion Software for Windows.

Can't find something?
Try searching.

Are you bored?
Try the Fun Stuff.

Was this site helpful?
Link to Us | Donate