Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

metes & bounds

metes & bounds
by Ronda on 07/24/03 at 20:29:36

Would anyone happen to know how to read a metes & bounds legal description of linier feet , minutes and degrees, and show me how to draw it using the dimensions and convert it to square feet and acres. p.s. there is 43560 sq. ft in an acre. I can't find a good example in any of my books to make me be able to do this on the test. It makes it seem as though linier can be converted into sq. ft. and I know it can't.

Re: metes & bounds
by Robert Fogt on 07/24/03 at 22:35:52

I am not aware of Metes & Bounds so I can't help you with that.

Linear feet could be converted to square feet, given the object had a standard width. For example, rolls of cloth. If you multiply the width of the roll in feet times the linear feet you would get the square feet.

But again, I have never seen the Metes & Bounds book you mention, so wont be able to help you there.

by swp on 04/12/04 at 12:39:10

I'm no expert, but I did this recently using Autocad Lite software.  The software allows you to use [color=Red]surveying polar co-ordinants [/color]to input the start and endpoints of the lines that make up your property perimeter.  For example, you start at position 0,0 then go to 137.3 feet at an angle of north 10deg,20min,3sec East. and so on and so on until you have drawn all the way around the property.  Once the perimeter is complete, Autocad can calculate the area in square feet.  If you have access to Autocad, you're set.
swp

by ThaiMunkey on 06/17/04 at 11:08:11

Unfortunately, I only know how to do that in AutoCAD as well.  I was never taught how to do it manually.  But, if you still need this answered, and you have a copy of AutoCAD, send me a message and I'll try to walk you through it.  I'm also under the impression that you need to know how to do this for a survey test, in which case the AutoCAD wouldn't help you anyway.  Good luck. ;)

by Charlie B on 10/25/05 at 15:30:05

From "Definitions of Surveying & Associated Terms"
metes & bounds - A method of describing land by measure of length (metes) of boundary lines (bounds). Most common method is to recite direction and length of each line as one would walk around the perimeter. In general the "metes" and " bounds" can be recited by the refernce to record, natural or artificial monuments at the corners; and record ,natural or cultural boundary lines.

Depending on the description you might not be able to calculate the area, depends if the relies on the metes or the bounds part.

Try Surveying: By Francis H. Moffit & The Late Harry Bouchard, Sixth Edition, Harper & Row, Chapters 2, 5, 6 & 8 or any good survey book.

http://users.rcn.com/deeds/metes.htm

Or see a local surveyor.

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate