Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Converting two problems

Converting two problems
by Evil_Jetsam on 09/29/03 at 11:05:29

Hi

Can someone please tell me the process of converting gallons to acre-feet and cm/s to gallons per minute per square feet (I'm exactly sure what gallons per minute per square feet is). Thanks a whole lot!!!

Re: Converting two problems
by Robert Fogt on 09/29/03 at 21:26:04

An acre foot is the volume convering an acre of area, one foot deep.  Which makes it 43,560 cubic feet.  Which is about 325,851.43 gallons.

To convert gallons to acre feet, divide by 325,851.43
To convert acre feet to gallons, multiply by 325,851.43

For your other request, converting centimeters per second, to gallons per minute per square feet, doesn't seem to make much sense. They are two different types of units. Maybe if you provide more information on exactly what the conversion is for, somebody may be of more help. But not sure.

by Evil_Jetsam on 09/30/03 at 08:32:06

After I read my post again, I seem to have written the wrong meaning in my post. Instead of I'm exactly sure what gallons per minute per square foot is, I really don't. I forgot to put the "not." This problem is for an engineering class I'm taking. I guess I just have to ask the TA or the teacher about it then. The exact problem is follows:

10.15cm/s to gallons per minute per square foot

Another thing, I was looking at the online conversion calculator and computed my gallons to acre-foot answer. But the answer doesn't match the process you given me. Look below:

Online calculator- 59*10^9 gallons = 210,694.7443767 acre foot

Following Robert Fogt's process- 59*10^9 = 181064.1126 acre-feet

So I'm not sure where the problem is here. Thanks again for answering my post!!!

by Robert Fogt on 09/30/03 at 12:06:12

You need to use the e format for entering scientific notation.

59*10^9 just becomes 59109 when you try to convert. The program removes all the unknown characters.

Instead use "59e9" and the program correctly converts it.

59000000000 gallon [US, liquid] = 181,064.1115123 acre foot

I put up a FAQ on the e format here:
[url]http://www.onlineconversion.com/faq_06.htm[/url]

Javascript isn't really powerful enough to figure out all possible forms of scientific notation, so I just use the e format most common to computers and I remove all other characters.

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate