Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

A question?

A question?
by chronic on 10/11/03 at 21:13:31

I'm trying to figure out how much weight or pressure my bicycles brake mounts are exposed too. A while back I ripped them off my frame and recently had them re-welded.

If you could help me out that would be wonderful.
Here are a bunch of stats about my bike. It weighs about 32 pounds. It's length if this matters is 5 foot 7 inchs. I have 26 inch tires and my rear brake pad sits exactly one inch away from the brake mount.
I weight about 140-145 pounds.
I have no idea how I could figure out exactly how much force is put on my brake mounts whilst I hope around on my rear tire.
Thank you for your time.

Re: A question?
by chronic on 10/18/03 at 16:52:54

So...No pondering towards a possible answer...

by Robert Fogt on 10/19/03 at 23:36:18

I am at a loss.

I would have assumed there is very little pressure when you hop on your back tire. I didn't think there should be any up/down pressure, just forward pressure when you stop.

by chronic on 10/20/03 at 10:38:16

Well i mean of course there will be a bunch of force put on your brake mounts whilst going forwards, same with going backwards. I dont often ride backwards. I only say for your sake because while I hop around on my rear tire it is usually putting my weight backwards against the brake mount. I was just curious if you had any ideas as to how much weight exactly would be put on those mounts due to the fact that I had them rewelded and I certainly dont want to go out of their boundaries and end up on my ass haha.
If not, no problem. I've been riding on the machine for nearly a week now and nothing horrible has happened. If I seemed impatient/hostile, I apologize. That was when this first happened and as I said, I wasn't wanting to over due my riding and get hurt.
If I haven't already mentioned this, This is an awesome idea for a site. I really wish I would have known about it while I was still in school. Could have come in handy, oodles of times.  ;)

by Robert Fogt on 10/20/03 at 15:04:55

Might be able to come up with a formula for momentum, calculate all the weight you have on it, how high you jump, etc.

But that wouldn't tell how much backwards/forwards torque is on the tire while hopping. And how much force the welds will hold is a tough one too.

Though if you're not sure, probably a good idea to keep your helmet and pads on in case they break.  :)

by chronic on 10/21/03 at 22:57:41

Good call haha.  ;)

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate