Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

cooking conversion help!

cooking conversion help!
by Teri on 02/21/04 at 14:57:17

My mom bought this japanese cookbook and all of the recipies are in grams...we're having difficulty trying to figure out a way to convert the dry grams to cups.

we really don't want to buy a scale just for this, are there any other options?

Re: cooking conversion help!
by Robert Fogt on 02/22/04 at 03:00:53

I have been collecting data on various substances, in hopes of adding them to the site soon.

If you let me know what the substances are, I may have researched them already, and can provide you with the gram/volume conversion.

Though be specific, since the data I have collected is. For example, I have conversion data for a dozen different types of flour. So dont just ask for flour, ask for U.S. All-Purpose flour (if that is the kind you'll be using).

by TaN00Ki on 03/01/04 at 13:01:52

1  cup= 236.64  ml
1/2 cup = 118.32 ml
1/3=78.88  ml
1/4 =  59.16  ml

this  can  vary  of course with density  but these  might beusing water... no i  won't convert ml to whatever US measure... ;)

by Robert Fogt on 03/02/04 at 02:25:22

Cups and millilters are both volume units.  Cups being the U.S. unit, and milliliter being the metric unit. Teri was looking for the grams to cups conversions, not ml to cups.

Americans typically do not have a scale in the kitchen. I understand it is a common thing to have in other countries, which is why alot of recipies call for grams.

by k on 03/24/04 at 03:30:43

;D yeah - because it would be too difficult for an American to use a scale -
the hole world uses the metric systems - only the Americans can't - and why?  because it's too much to ask of an American to get along with the rest of the world.
my 2 cents.

by Robert Fogt on 03/24/04 at 10:03:31

It doesn't have anything at all to do with getting along with the rest of the world. America is the most diverse country in the world. We are a mix of so many different cultures, and receive so many immigrants each year, that you could say Americans try harder to get along with everybody than anyone else.

It has to do with tradition. All our roads and buildings and everything ever built is in this system, and its tough to see a benefit to change. Our government changed back in the 70's, but the civilian population is slow to be pushed to something.  We are moving to the metric system, just slowly.

And of all the differences between cultures, the measurement system is not something that will keep us from getting along together. Some countries allow men to have many wives, some countries flog jaywalkers, and some countries use the inch instead of the centimeter. I just don't see the metric system as being as important as our other differences. Thats my 2 cents. :)

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate