Welcome to OnlineConversion.com


by Jerry Reynolds on 08/31/04 at 17:24:55

When measuring steel they use 22 gauge or 25 gauge. What does this mean? If it  is the thickness of steel, how thick is 25 gauge?
cj :)

Re: Gauge
by Robert Fogt on 08/31/04 at 22:30:31

Guage is a measure of the thickness of metal. In the very distant past, it used to be how many sheets it took to fill up a certain distance. If it took 24 sheets it was 24 guage, if it took 3 sheets it was 3 guage.

That is why the larger the guage the thinner the metal, because it took more sheets to fill up a certain distance. But today this is no longer true, as guage is standardized and just read from a chart.

There is a sheet metal guage conversion page up here:

Re: Gauge
by Robert Fogt on 08/31/04 at 22:35:45

Darn my spelling errors.  It is spelled Gauge, not guage as I spelled it.

Go Back | Archive Index


Did you find us useful?

Please consider supporting the site with a small donation.

click here for more information


BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Check out our Conversion Software for Windows.

Can't find something?
Try searching.

Are you bored?
Try the Fun Stuff.

Was this site helpful?
Link to Us | Donate