Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

conversion question

conversion question
by Erica on 05/19/05 at 10:03:51

Is it possible to convert foot-pounds and inch-pounds to pounds?  

Re: conversion question
by Robert Fogt on 05/20/05 at 01:09:34

That depends. Could you provide more information as to exactly what you are trying to do?

As a unit of torque, 1 foot pound is the force of 1 pound applied 1 foot from the fulcrum.

As a unit of work or energy, it is the force of 1 pound acting through a distance of 1 foot.

So they are related, just not directly.

Foot-pounds, inch-pounds convert to pounds
by Erica on 05/24/05 at 11:24:35

Thank you for the response.  I use an exercise machine with patients that measures in foot-pounds or inch-pounds.  My patients are always asking me how much weight am I exercising with in pounds.  For example, on the cervical machine I could be using 390 inch-pounds for the exercise and the patient will ask, how many pounds am I lifting with my neck.  Any further response is greatly appreciated, have a great day!

Re: conversion question
by Robert Fogt on 05/24/05 at 15:20:45

If you are lifting 1 foot pound, you are performing the same amount of work as lifting 1 pound a distance of 1 foot.

If you are lifting 390 inch pounds, you are performing the same amount of work as lifting 1 pound a distance of 390 inches, or 390 pounds a distance of 1 inch.

You can divide by 12 to get feet. 390/12 = 32.5

If you are lifting 390 inch pounds you are performing the same amount of work as if you are lifting 32.5 pounds a distance of 1 foot, or 1 pound a distance of 32.5 feet.

But keep in mind this is the amount of work you are performing. Lifting 1 pound a distance of 5 feet will feel lighter than lifting 5 pounds a distance of 1 foot, but you'd be performing the same amount of work.

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate