Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Parts in cocktail measurements

Parts in cocktail measurements
by _mark_ on 08/13/05 at 17:19:46

Can anyone tell me if when a cocktail recipe refers to a "part" of something does this just mean the ratio? I thought this but I have found many cocktails that require the equal amount of liquids but the parts isn't 1. For example a white russian (as descirbed on the back of a bottle of kalua) is made up of 1 1/2 parts kalua, 1 1/2 parts vodka and topped with milk or cream. If it just means the same amount of vodka as kalua then why doesn't it simply say 1 part of each?! I have searched the internet and cannot find the answer so maybe one of you guys know the answer! So is a "part" a specific number of mililitres?

Many thanks,

Mark

Re: Parts in cocktail measurements
by Robert Fogt on 08/14/05 at 01:38:18

In bartending, 1 part is any equal part. It is not any specific amount.

So 1 1/2 parts of one thing and 1 1/2 parts of another means equal parts of each.

I have no idea why they didn't just say 1 part of each. Maybe the recipe used to have additional ingredients and they just didn't change the others when they removed it.

Check out the Webtender here:
http://www.webtender.com/handbook/measurements.html

Re: Parts in cocktail measurements
by scottrlas on 08/22/05 at 11:54:53

I tended bar for almost 15 years and the measurments are as Robert says equal, but...
The 1 1/2 parts is refering to a standard measure of booze or 1 shot glass which is 1 1/2 oz's.   Added together is 3 oz's of booze plus ice and a dash of cream on top will fill your average rocks glass (6oz).  

If you're into using a larger glass, say 8-12 oz's, the "equal parts" measure will then apply.   Remember, always drink responsibly.

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate