Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Unknown Abbreviations

Unknown Abbreviations
by Shanaar diCrystala on 09/01/05 at 21:44:34

I'm trying to identify the abbreviations 'dwt' and 'ozt', both of which appear as weight modes on a scale, along with 'gr' and 'oz'.  Any ideas/suggestions?  Thanks!

Re: Unknown Abbreviations
by Robert Fogt on 09/02/05 at 04:17:51

The symbol dwt stands for the pennyweight, which is equal to 1/20[sup]th[/sup] of a troy ounce.

The symbol ozt stands for the troy ounce which is 1/12[sup]th[/sup] of a troy pound.

The troy ounce is 192/175[sup]th[/sup] of a standard avoirdupois ounce.

The symbol gr stands for the grain, which is 1/480[sup]th[/sup] of a troy ounce.

The symbol oz stands for the avoirdupois ounce. The common ounce used today in the U.S. It is 175/192[sup]nd[/sup] of a troy ounce.

I am working on a glossary of terms and symbols, but because of the large number units there are it will take me awhile to have the glossary completed enough to be useful.

Go Back | Archive Index


Did you find us useful?

Please consider supporting the site with a small donation.

click here for more information


BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Check out our Conversion Software for Windows.

Can't find something?
Try searching.

Are you bored?
Try the Fun Stuff.

Was this site helpful?
Link to Us | Donate