Welcome to OnlineConversion.com

Ton of air conditioning

Ton of air conditioning
by nielsenec (Guest) on 05/09/01 at 08:21:14

What is a ton of air conditioning in SI units?  It is an energy unit that should be able to be converted into BTU/hr or kW or something similar.  I believe the unit originated with the cooling capacity of a ton of ammonia, the first refrigerant.

Re: Ton of air conditioning
by Robert Fogt (Guest) on 05/09/01 at 18:46:52

I found this information:

One ton of capacity equals 12,000 Btu/h
(also one Btu/h is equal to 0.293 watts so...One ton = 3.516 Kilowatts)

That is assuming the information is accurate, I do not have another reference to verify this with.

The website is:
[url]http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/ratings/e_terms.htm[/url]

That would be something good for the ole to-do list, it would be nice to have that conversion up. With luck I can find a .gov or .mil site to double check the accuracy.

by shahram (Guest) on 07/27/01 at 15:10:52

hey I'm in need of a favor from u...I'm currently
working on an assignment in which I have to convert how many kilowatthours one ton airconditioner consumes in an hour....please help me

my email is : schaali_54@yahoo.com

by riber on 01/26/02 at 07:14:56

Actually it is correct that one ton of air-conditioning is equal to 12,000 btu/hr.  However the other question trying to convert a one ton A/C unit into kw/hr consumed is very dependant on the make and model of the air-conditioner, as well as its EER (energy Efficiency Rate). These range from 6-14 EER. Standard average one ton A/C unit consumes 1.335 KW/hr.

by coldfuse on 02/06/02 at 20:53:16

Just wanted to provide background on the derivation for tons of refrigeration, and provide information on the similar SI standard.

The latent heat of fusion for ice is 144 BTU/lb.  For one ton, that is 2000 lb x 144 BTU/lb, or 288,000 BTU.  Refrigeration's roots are in the ice making industry, and the ice guys wanted to convert this into ice production.  If 288,000 BTU are required to make one ton of ice, divide this by 24 hours to get 12,000 BTU/Hr required to make one ton of ice in one day.

This is simply the requirement for the phase change from liquid to solid --  to convert +32 deg F water into +32 deg F ice.  As a practical matter, additional refrigeration is required to take city water and turn it into ice.  

One BTU is the heat removal required to lower the temperature of one pound of water by one degree F.  In SI units, kilocaries are used.  One kilocalorie is the heat removal required to lower the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree C.   One ton of refrigeration is equal to 3024 kilocaries per hour.  It is basically the 12,000 BTU/Hr divided by pounds per kilogram divided by 1.8 (to get from degrees F to degrees C).

I hope this explanation hasn't been too cumbersome and will be helpful for someone out there!  I'll  :-X now!

by coldfuse on 02/06/02 at 21:46:28

You may wish to click on http://www.startinbusiness.co.uk/si_tz.htm for verification of the SI conversion for kilocaries to tons.

I should have posted this previously

Go Back | Archive Index

BookMark Us

It may come in handy.

Are you bored?

Try the Fun Stuff

Was this site helpful?

Link to Us | Donate